Friday, June 13, 2008

Sunday morning insurance policy!

What a fantastic book I am reading. I have read it before, only to desire another dose! The title, "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning is, in itself an AWESOME title! There are so many things I could expound upon from this book but there is one I could not help but share with you.

Talking about legalistic Christians who feel the need to engage in some sort of magic to appease God, he says, "Sunday worship becomes a superstitious insurance policy against His whims." Huh, I don't think of my self as "legalistic" but I certainly have been guilty of this very thing. I know that I am not the only one. I know that church is made up of people who make it to church each Sunday morning to fulfill their Christian duties, for hope that if they do their part, God will do His. People who serve in ministries because that is what they are supposed to do and it will gain them favor (aka. less turmoil in their life). He goes on to say that, "when broken people (us) with this concept of God fail, they usually expect punishment. So, they persevere in religious practices as they struggle to maintain a hollow image of a perfect self. The struggle itself is exhausting. The legalist can never live up to the expectations they project on God." Is this really what God is about? I think not!

Our God is a God of grace. One who doesn't want our works......who tells us clearly that they will not get us to salvation. Why is it then that we are so susceptible to DOING to gain his approval? Doing is much easier than giving of the heart. There is no stock in doing, except for time. Giving of the heart costs so much more. Giving our heart takes time throughout each day, 7 days a week. It takes self-discipline and endurance. And most of all it takes vulnerability!

I don't want to chase after an insurance policy....I want to experience our God of grace.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails