Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pregnancy Update

So, I had an appt with the high risk specialist on Monday.  My Mom & my Aunt went with me.  My Mom doesn't think I should be driving & my Aunt just happened to be in town & had never seen a sonogram. 

I was taken a little by surprise by what was discovered.

First of all, they didn't even do a transvaginal sono to measure my cervix so I'm not really sure why I went.  BUT, the external sonogram ended up revealing another issue!  Surprise, surprise!  I have excessive amniotic fluid & the baby is apparently growing excessively.  A baby should be approximately 5 lbs 4oz at this time & they were measuring the baby at 6 lbs 12 oz.  Since I normally have small babies (the biggest was 7 lbs 4 oz) they seemed a bit concerned.

They put me on the fetal monitor just to be sure the baby was fine.....she was.  The doctor said that the glucose test given at 28 weeks to check for gestational diabetes is only 95% accurate & she thinks I am in the other 5%.  She told me to change my diet to that of a diabetic & wanted to see me back in 1 week.

Personally I don't think I have gestational diabetes.  I thought it sounded a little fishy when I was at the appointment but I went with it because she didn't act like she had an alternative explanation.  I tend to think that I got the Sunday School Big Baby curse : )  No, I really have no idea what is going on.  When I researched gestational diabetes there were several clues to the disease.....none of which I have.  One of the clues is sugar in your urine....never been a problem.  Some symptoms are excessive hunger or thirst, frequent urination, frequent vaginal infections, excessive weight gain......none of which I have. 

Some weird stuff going on that no one seems to have any viable answers for.  Please pray for my health & that of the baby.

By the Mom is a hoot watching the sono.  She has NO clue what she is looking at.  I am pretty good at picking stuff out now but Mom thinks I'm just making it's pretty funny!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails